Happiness is one of my favorite subjects to research about. Many people just assume that things have to go your way to be happy but that is simply not true. You can create your happiness with feelings & actions. You can actually trick yourself into being happy.
I will give you ten ways that you can create your happiness
1. Fake smile – if you fake a smile for one full minute it will trigger your brain into thinking you are happy. If you can’t find any reason to fake a smile, bite on a pencil and it will force you to smile.
2. Step into sunlight-A ten-minute walk can make us feel energized less tired & boost mood.
3. Eat good mood food– certain fats have antidepressant effect. Eat omega 3s.
4. Yawning– the primary focus is to cool off our brain
5. Surprise the people you love with flowers, small presents, kind words, help, a hug, or a genuine compliment.
6. Take a leap of faith.
To move forward and allow new experiences, new energy, and new people into your life, you have to let go of whatever isn’t working for you. It does take confidence and self-belief, but this is where banishing the old beliefs and replacing your old negative thoughts with positive ones come in. If practiced regularly, this will create the self-worth and self-reliance needed to make that leap of faith.
7. Get into gratitude.
Be grateful for what you have in your life now. Take a few moments every day to really savor what makes you happy and give thanks for it. This is a seemingly simple strategy, but it can make a huge difference to your outlook. There are lots of ways to practice gratitude, from keeping a journal , sharing three good things that happen each day with a friend or your partner, and going out of your way to show gratitude when others help you.
8. Give Hugs Daily!
People crave 13 hugs a day – but most don’t receive this many
If you receive at least 8 lingering hugs a day– your oxytocin levels increase and your levels of cortisol decrease– it leads us to a healthy heart & less stress
* Hugs also lower our heart rate, promoting a calming effect and of course happiness
* So go hug someone today because it normally lasts 9.5 seconds and we all have that extra time to spare
9. Plan a trip – but don’t take one
As opposed to actually taking a vacation, it seems that planning a vacation or just a break from work can improve our happiness. A study showed that the highest spike in happiness came during the planning stage of a vacation as employees enjoyed the sense of anticipation:
In the study, the effect of vacation anticipation boosted happiness for eight weeks.
After the vacation, happiness quickly dropped back to baseline levels for most people.
10. Command your morning
If you want to be happier, don’t run out of the house without taking time for yourself each morning. Whether that be through prayer or mediation to prepare yourself for the day. Don’t you find that not starting your day strong will make the rest of the day not so productive. What if we started the morning strong and had a powerful day every day.
I hope you enjoyed those 10 ways to improve your happiness!
Remember— You are the driver of your own life, and as you journey through, you have choices about which paths to take. The people you pick up along the way can influence your life, but you still remain in control.